There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends.
I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.
~ Jane Austen

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Did you know...



Fifty-two years ago on March 9th Barbie made her official debut at the American International Toy Show in New York.

The brainchild of Ruth Handler, Barbie was named after her daughter (Barbara), who one of Ruth's main inspirations behind creating the Barbie doll in the first place. Ruth noticed that when Barbara was playing with her paper dolls, the young girl often gave them adult rolls. This struck a chord with Ruth who realized that most dolls at the time were created to look like babies and young children. Sensing a genuine need in the toy market for a more mature looking doll, Ruth put the idea for just such a toy forward to her husband (Elliot Handler), who was the co-founder of Mattel.  It took several years to start production of the great icon ~ fashion doll.


Just some vintage news for today.
Hope your week is going well!
Sharon

10 comments:

Ruby said...

This is cool! I enjoyed many hours with my sister and our Barbies. My was a brunette. Lost it in a house fire but still remember the good times we had. Thanks for sharing

Rebecca Nelson said...

Barbie and I are exactly the same age. Gosh...I think she's aging better than me! Bah!

Sweet post!
xoRebecca

Pat @ My Tattered Elegance said...

I was 16 and had more boys on my mind than Barbie. But my daughter sure like her when she started playing dolls. My how time flies.
Hope you are okay!!!
Hugs, Pat

she dreams big! said...

Guess it kind of dates me but I have that exact doll! She even still has those pearl earrings. I don't think I played with her much but I do remember constantly organizing her clothes.

Ahhh, memories. Thanks for the look back on my childhood!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I remember the first time and place I saw a Barbie doll...every detail. I was in awe of the accessories especially. I still had that original doll when my daughter was young and played with it. Almost all the clothes and accessories disappeared and the doll somehow got replaced with another. Kind of made me sad when it was gone.

Art From The heart said...

Wow ! I'm vintage.
Barely remember her except whan my daughter came along. She was a fan for awhile. hugs & memories, Amy

Cindy said...

Boy, does this picture of Barbie bring back memories! Since I had 3 boys, I've not thought about dolls for a long time. But I sure did love my Barbie!

Diva Kreszl said...

thanks for bringing back memories of my first Barbie, I had the very same one in you photo!

Jann said...

I had that same Barbie when I was a child--I LOVED my Barbie--I didn't have a million Barbies like some of my granddaughters have, just the one. My mother made many clothes for her, and I had her for many, many years. Unfortunately, she disappeared during one of my many moves. I still have her little sunglasses and a few dresses. I would love to find a Barbie like that; I wish I still had mine . . .

PCovi said...

wow, march 9th is my b'day.
i inherited my older cousins' first barbies. if ONLY i hadn't traded their heads back then to some neighbor...